SLP Curriculum Guide #07 Tools Options Palette #2
In this Guide we continue to briefly explore the Tool Tools Option Palette. In the previous Guide we explore the basic options. In this Guide we will be exploring many other ways to learn using this Palette.
Curriculum Guide Index
GUIDE #07: TOOL OPTIONS PALETTE ADVANCED EXPLORATION
As an initial comment about learning the full extent of using the Tool Options Palette one will learn over a period of time. There are many aspects to using this palette that will enhance one's use of PSP.
Since there are many features to learn in using this Palette, this guide will only provide some basic steps on how to find answers to questions of 'how to' use a particular feature. Thus, this guide will provide steps on using the 'HELP' feature which is very comprehensive and a quick way to gain understanding of any aspect of using PSP.
EXERCISE #1: USING HELP, EXPLORE PRESETS
When accessing the Tools Option Palette and the 'Presets' option, there are two additional buttons besides 'Saving Presets' and 'Default'. One button is 'File Locations' and the other is 'Resource Manager'.
a. First, click on the 'Resource Manager' button and just become initially familiar with the Resource Manager Window.
- b. Then, click on the 'File Locations' button and become initially familiar with it.
EXERCISE #2: USING HELP TO EXPLORE TOOL OPTIONS PALETTE OPTIONS
- a. Open Help, and then explore the information on the Resource Manager:
- Open the 'Resource Manager' from Presets
- Click on the Resource Manager HELP button
- Read 'Managing Resources'
- Q. Where and How do you find the Resource Manager? What is the Resource Manager (what does it do)?
- b. Explore 'File Locations'
- Open the 'File Locations' from Presets and click on the HELP button at bottom.
- Q. What is the purpose of File Locations? How can they be used?
- Explore how to add resources (Folders) and change them.
- Open the 'File Locations' Dialogue from Presets
- In 'File Types' highlight 'Brushes' and not what appears in the Brush File Folders Window. Note also the Folder options possible. And finally, note where Brushes are save as set in the Save To: box.
- In the Brush File Folders window, note the path(s) to the Brushes and then use a File Manager so you can navigate to that folder on your Hard Drive. When in that folder, not the files that exist. Most if not all will be the default brushes that come with the program. Note the file name and extension.
- Create a canvas.
-- Select the Tool Brushes
-- Click on 'Tool Presets' box in the Tools Option Palette and explore or look at the various brush tips available.
-- Then, in the file manager go to that particular Brush Folder on your Hard Drive and find a particular brush to note how it is listed.
This set of exercises should be done over a period of time as one becomes more familiar with the FILE LOCATIONS window from the Presets of the Tool Options Palette. One can create additional folders for Brushes so that one can organize their brushes in particular ways to make them more easily accessible.
One does need to know:
This aspect of the Topic on the Tool Options Palette is in fact a more advanced aspect. However, I encourage participants to spend time learning how to use the Resource Manager and the File Locations features of PSP. Certainly, just using the default settings that come with PSP is sufficient, learning the skills to use these two resources enhances one's ability to expand their PSP experience.
- How to use the File Locations Folder
- How to download and set up Brushes that are downloaded from Web sites
- How to create additional folders in the File Locations Dialogue Window (for various resources of PSP).
- How to save Brushes and other resources to folders and especially folders one creates.
- When completing a tutorial or series of tutorials, and having placed them upon your web page, post in the SLP Forum your completed work using this layout:
- a. Name or Screen Name.
- b. Web Site URL.
- c. Version of PSP using.
- d. List of Tutorials completed.
- From exploration of using Tool Tools Option Palette and its options as suggested in this guide, post some of your results and or comments in response to the exercises. Do not hesitate to raise questions on using the Resource Manager and/or File Allocations folder to obtain further understanding of these features.
- a. Indicate what you did so others can duplicate.
- b. Indicate what option values.
- c. Add comments on your results and findings of interest.
- d. Share your questions and comments in the SLP Forum and your graphic results in the member Gallery SLP Album as well as in the Forum.
Curriculum Guide Index