Before we begin our journey on exploring individual tools, we need to take time to explore an area of PSP as it relates to Tools (and other things) and in 'Customizing'. One wants to know how to access this feature of PSP and what it does and how to use it.
Although default settings are sufficient for the new user as one becomes more skilled in using PSP one needs to know how to customize various features, including tools, so that one's particular interests can easily be reflected in their PSP workspace. Thus, this guide will introduce users to one important feature of PSP, the 'Customize' feature.
GUIDE #08: The CUSTOMIZE FEATURE OF PSP
To best understand this feature and all of its options, first open up the CUSTOMIZE Window. Using the File Menu Bar click on: View || Customize and then make sure the COMMANDS tab is selected.
There are two panes, Categories (on the left) and Commands (on the right). When a category is highlighted, the right pane shows the icons that will select a particular function when clicked upon in the particular Toolbar. Thus, when one is customizing toolbars, one uses this feature. To learn more about Customizing Workspaces and Toolbars check the Tutorial http://www.pspug.org/tutorial/html/tut9eff/beg01-workspace_v9.htm and http://www.pspug.org/tutorial/html/tut9eff/beg02-workspace02_v9.htm
EXERCISE #1: TOOLS, USING THE CUSTOMIZE FEATURE
In the Customize window, highlight TOOLS. In this exercise, you will want to make visible all Toolbars. So, either using the Menu View || Toolbars or the Tab Toolbars in the Customize window, check all Toolbars.
- Select a toolbar in order to see the various tools available on that bar.
- In the CUSTOMIZE window, locate the command/icon that is currently on the Toolbar.
- Repeat #1 and #2 for other Toolbars.
EXERCISE #2: UNUSED COMMANDS, USING THE CUSTOMIZE FEATURE
In the Customize window, Highlight UNUSED COMMANDS. Take some time and look though the various commands listed. If one is using Version X, some commands that were used in Version 9 and earlier were replaced by some new commands.
Take some time and explore what commands are unused. To learn more about a particular unused command, use the HELP menu item.
- When completing a tutorial or series of tutorials, and having placed them upon your web page, post in the SLP Forum your completed work using this layout:
- a. Name or Screen Name.
- b. Web Site URL.
- c. Version of PSP using.
- d. List of Tutorials completed.
- From exploration of using Tool Tools Option Palette and its options as suggested in this guide, post some of your results and or comments in response to the exercises. Do not hesitate to raise questions on using the Resource Manager and/or File Allocations folder to obtain further understanding of these features.
- a. Indicate what you did so others can duplicate.
- b. Indicate what option values.
- c. Add comments on your results and findings of interest.
- d. Share your questions and comments in the SLP Forum and your graphic results in the member Gallery SLP Album as well as in the Forum.
Curriculum Guide Index